Narcissistic abuse has lasting effects. Many victims of narcissistic abuse who believe they’ve healed experience uncomfortable symptoms of PTSD Post traumatic stress disorder weeks, months or even years after leaving a narcissist.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder that may develop after exposure to a terrifying event or ordeal in which severe physical harm occurred or was threatened. Traumatic events that may trigger PTSD include violent personal assaults, natural or unnatural disasters, accidents, or military combat or severe mental or emotional abuse over a long period of time.
Narcissist can hurt their victims so deeply that PTSD can be experienced while in a relationship with a narcissist or for months or even years after a break up/divorce with a narcissist. Symptoms of PTSD include:
- Physical and emotional responses to traumatic recaps
- Disturbing thoughts or memories presented as nightmares and flashbacks
- Difficulty in focusing or falling sleep
- Conflicting feelings about oneself and the others, even people who care
- Distorted sense of blame related to the trauma caused by the narcissist
- Social retreat and isolation
- Avoiding tendencies related to feelings, people or situations connected to the trauma caused by the narcissist
- Hyper-vigilance, anger, being easily frightened
- Fear or panic for no apparent reasons
- Inconsistent or conflicting beliefs which lead to low self-esteem
Need help healing? Schedule a coaching session today.
Do want the tools to fight narcissistic abuse and recover quickly? Check out my latest book. How to Defeat a Narcissist: The Complete Guide to Shutdown Narcissistic Abuse
By Janell Hihi @copyright 2019